A key role of the TEGNA Foundation is investing in the future of the media industry. The TEGNA Foundation supports several journalism education and training programs each year.
Our media funding mission is to support freedom of the press, ethics in journalism, and education and training for the next generation of diverse journalists. The Foundation particularly favors programs or projects that benefit the areas in which TEGNA does business and that seek to encourage diversity in newsrooms and in coverage.
We do not consider funding local community programs or those at community colleges and high schools.
- Tax-exempt public charities classified by the Internal Revenue Service as Section 501(c)(3) and 509(a)(1) or 509(a)(2)
- Tax-exempt degree-granting four-year colleges or universities.
To apply for a media grant, a proposal must include the following:
- a completed TEGNA Foundation Grant Application Form
- IRS letter of determination for 501(c)3 tax exemption
- your organization’s non-discrimination policy
- detailed listing of proposed use of requested funds, a one-page program budget, and a one-page summary of organization’s budget
- program description of no more than three pages that includes:
- needs statement
- objectives of the program to be funded
- whether the program is new or ongoing
- constituency to be served
- sustainability statement
- your organization's qualifications to carry out the program
- how the program will be evaluated (include any tracking or historical information available)
- plans for continued funding of the program, if applicable
- other funding sources, committed and applied for.
Note: When requesting funding for journalist conventions, include data on attendance at 3 prior conventions.
Mail the proposal to the Foundation’s Manager, Meg Kennedy, at the following address:
TEGNA Foundation Media Committee
7950 Jones Branch Drive
McLean, VA 22107
The media committee meets and reviews proposals twice per year. Applications should be postmarked by one of these deadlines: March 1 or November 2. You will be notified of the committee’s decision via email in 60 to 90 days after the deadline. We do not accept proposals via email, messenger or hand delivery.